Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The little things that make you appreciate what you have...

Once a week Zara and I go to a baby and me water workout, which is more of a good excuse for moms to get together and casually jog around the pool. One mom there has such a positive attitude and outlook that everyone just seems to be drawn to her. I think she gets around to talking to everyone there and she just adores her little 7 month old boy, whos very charming with his flaming red hair.

Through our various chats I've found out that their firstborn had a rare condition and wasn't supposed to live much after birth but they got to enjoy him for close to a month and she's just so happy for the time they had with him. Last week I also found out that her husband passed away when she was 7 months pregnant with their little boy. He's been gone for 9 months now and she is doing amazing.

I think about her so much in a day. When I hear a song that reminds me of Garrett, I wonder how many songs she hears that remind her of her husband. When I'm shopping and I think I should buy something for Garrett, I wonder if she wishes she could buy something for her husband. When I find something like a sock of Garretts stuck between the washer and dryer or a old lost screwdriver I wonder if she finds things that remind her of her husband.

As I think of these things I can't believe how much I take what I have for granted. I have a perfectly healthy baby and a husband who is here everynight as I fall asleep and I still complain. I am going to learn from her experience and not complain about how grumpy Zara may be or how her teething is driving me up the wall, and even though Garrett is on a course 2 nights a week for the next month and a bit , I'm going to be grateful that he's still here every other night of the week.

Amazing the horrible things other people go through that make me appreciate what I have.

6 comments:

  1. Arsh, I enjoy your writing.
    -Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. Good thing I have a box of tissues beside the computer!!

    Auntie Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post ashely or shall i switch the wrod up hmm fantasic no really though i love it great writting ability
    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Ashley you gave me lots to think about as well, we should really appreciate what we have and who we have around us. Even though I somtimes can get frustrated with teenagers, what would we do without them. I forget how sometimes they just don't see life as I do. But oneday they will and be grateful as well, we just have to be patient with them until that time is here. Was so nice and refreshing to have my son thank me for his up bringing and for the morals I have taught him, wow blue my socks off. thanks for the wake up call. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell you what we do without our teenagers. We shovel our own mounds of snow!!! And then we go and shovel again. Maybe one of my teenage nephews would like to come and live with me??

    Uvvamuvva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ashley, what a timely post this is. Today I was reminded of the very same things because of a young mother I know who has just been told her 3 month old daughter, who was born pre-maturely with an undiagnosed condition, will surely not live.

    Loss, it seems, is not rare.

    Like you, how I desperately long to live more gratefully.

    ReplyDelete