Monday, November 16, 2009

Pick-me-ups

I've discovered a couple things since being a mother of two...there are a couple things that instantly put me in a good mood.

First one being Starbucks of course. I find it outrageous to spend 5 bucks on a drink but once in a while I splurge and buy one and realize once again that it is totally worth it. It just puts me in a great mood as soon as that decaf white chocolate mocha WITH whip gets placed into my hands. I could have had one of those days where Kanya has decided to cluster feed every 2 hours and Zara has become totally needy and wants extra attention but as soon as I have a drink of that deliciousiness it's all forgotten and I'm good to start again.

The other good mood maker is listening to ANY song by The Beatles. I've been trying to think why this would have this affect on me and all I've come up with is that it reminds me of my childhhod and simplier days. Long before I was in school I used to work on cars with my Dad and often we would have to try out his stereo in whatever car we happened to be working on. Some of the music I remember listening to the most are Dolly Parton's 'rock' album Rainbow (a good listen for those that like Dolly), that good old spanish song La Bamba, Wake up Little Suzie by the Everly Brothers and 66 CFR on the AM dial which played oldies all the time which started my obession with listening to old music and it wasn't long when The Beatles became my favorite. I remember for my birthday in grade 6 the thing I wanted the most was a Beatles tape and when I got it I took it to school in my walkman (yes the days of walkmans) and tried to convince my friends that this was the GREATEST music but that was the era of Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys so they just thought I was out of my mind. And from there it went to The Beach Boys to Elvis to CCR to The Rolling Stones but always came back to The Beatles, and listening to their music is guaranteed to turn any mood I may be in into a great mood.

I was in a bit of a grumpy mood when I started writing this but it has turned around now into a good mood just thinking about drinking a Starbucks and listening to Abbey Road. Amazing. Now I can go and be civil again.

3 comments:

  1. Good job on turning your bad mood around!!
    we missed you tonight, but see you in a few days....!
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with both of those pick-me-uppers! I feel like every mom is worth a $5 indulgence once in awhile. And who doesn't love the Beatles?? The White album is on my list of all time faves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha im all about the starbucks mood upper!!but this wknd we'd been talking about weight watches and how much points starbucks drinks are, 9 per drink or what ever!!anyway so was having one of those disaster mornings so got my self a peppermint mocha(mmmm so good)and was feeling great untill i thought about the fact that it was jolly half my points for the day or what ever!!haha anyway still enjoyed my drink!!haha

    ReplyDelete